Thursday, July 16, 2009

17...going on 30

My postings have been so infrequent, and my life seems so simple that it has gotten to the point where I feel like something momentous has to occur in order for me to feel it's worth the post. Well...after many months, I feel I have reached such occasion. Today is my 30th birthday!! (I actually feel like I am lying when I say my age...)

In my mind, I am 17 goin on 30. Not much has changed except each year the number gets bigger. People in their 30's have so much responsibility, and they are like...old. (I apologize for all those 30+, I'm in your category now, so I am speaking of myself as well.) Here I am...30.

At the close of one decade and the start of another, it makes me think of many of my birthdays past. All of my teenage birthdays were spent at Girls Camp. My parents would always come up to camp and visit the evening of my birthdays and bring ice-cream bars for everyone. I celebrated my 18th birthday in France while on the Utah Ambassadors of Music Tour through Europe. On my 22nd birthday, I was secretly preparing my mission papers. My 23rd birthday was spent in Bratislava with the missionaries in my area and Erika and Petra Jurcakova.

I don't remember anything specific from the few birthdays after my mission, until I met Matt...and we celebrated my 27th birthday after we'd only been married 2 months. On that birthday, Matt surprised me with a formal dinner at Chef's Table in Orem.

The next morning, as I was getting ready for work, I had a melt-down...the first of many to come as a newly wed. Matt kept asking me what was wrong and my only response between sobs was, "Nothing...I'm fine." After about a half hour of crying, I finally gathered enough composure to tell my new husband what was bothering me. It came out something like this. "It was my birthday yesterday..." (sob) "...and I know you took me to a nice restaurant..." (sob) "...but..." (long pause followed by hysterical sob) "...you didn't get me a birthday gift..." (sob) "...I didn't realize it would bother me..." (whimpering) "...but it does. I guess is just assumed that gifts come with a birthday and you give a gift when its someone's birthday...and..." (whimper and sob) "...it just makes me sad."

Here stands my new husband, dumbfounded by his wife's hysterics, and calmly and sweetly responds. "Rebekah, I've never been married before. I didn't know this is what you expected. I'm sorry. I want to make it up to you." Well, I composed myself after an hour and a half of crying and went to work.

That evening, I was greeted by my smiling husband standing next to awrapped gift he purchased for me. After that morning's melt-down, Matt spent hours at the mall. He walked through every store, considering everything...trying to find the perfect gift. He finally found what he was looking for. (Even then, I'm sure he was nervous to give me anything, wondering if I'd have another meltdown about the type of gift I should receive on my birthday.) I opened the bag and found a new pair of Keens along with a bottle of A&F perfume.

I had never heard of Keens before and had no idea why these shoes are special. Matt informed me that they are hiking, walking, swimming, outdoor, everything shoes. They are durable, hard-soled sandals that cover your toes so you don't sub them while running/hiking/swimming.

Matt is very thoughtful about his gifts. He compares, considers, researches and then decides. I realized this after my first married birthday, when he told me why these shoes are so great. Matt loves giving gifts. My simple, yet emotional reuqest for a birthday gift was met generously by a husband who only wants his wife to be happy. He goes above and beyond...

So, here I am, at the end of my first day being 30...and ready for the next decade birthdays! -R-

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I was so excited to see that you posted! I love hearing about how you guys are doing and what is going on! That story about Matt brought back so many memories of first being married. Didn't we just get such great guys?!

    Hope everything is going great! You still look gorgeous as ever!

    Katie

    P.S. Here is our blog if you don't have it already: www.jkbrowning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. REBEKAH!! The funny thing is I was thinking about you this month and that you were having your birthday!!! So what a perfect opportunity to tell you happy birthday! I love the birthday memories....and your sweet husband...what a great story! I'm so glad you're finally joining me in the 'I can't believe i'm 30 club!!' Love ya and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete